For all man are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall -1Peter 1:24

Monday, July 6, 2009

Managing Challenges

Some asked me whether I felt excited about taking on difficult jobs. They appear to see it as fun, they wish to "seek thrill" and claim to enjoying "living dangerously".

I have to disagree. It is not fun. Fun is for games and leisure. I take my work seriously. When I take on a contract, it's because I want the pay. And by accepting, I have accepted the responsibility, I have an obligation to fulfill and must do so professionally.

受人钱财,提人消灾

I cannot go in with the attitude of a child visiting the playground, as that would mean I am not ready*.
I am also not keen on unnecessary risks. From an investment viewpoint, risks must be justified by a fair return. It's still more preferable, if we can avoid the risk and achieve the same payoff.

*the athlete who expresses a feeling of euphoria before an event is probably in a poor state of readiness.

No comments: