For all man are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall -1Peter 1:24

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Life as a Console Planner -Part 2

Tough! were the past few weeks. Not bad enough yet for a burnout situation, but nonetheless as tough as any decent intensive training gets. The daily routine of a backend operational role as expected, leaves little slack and no room for anything less than utmost efficiency. Myself am not up to speed yet, no thanks to my lack of experience in this specialized role. Many times I find myself overwhelmed and breathless. Kudos to the Team for being able to juggle comparatively heavier loads and still find the time to reach out and save me every now and then.

Reminisce of my former experience in operations, each day's planning is fraught with uncontrollable factors and unsavory surprises. Definitely not for the faint hearted. Thankfully, the resemblance ends here*.

*** SENSITIVE DATA DELETED *** It is unclear at this point if I might pull through, but the co-operative culture in Expeditors does make the days more encouraging. For now, drastic actions** are not required yet.

*I had a firsthand taste of what the planners in my ex-company had to go through, when major shipping orders get canceled last minute. (Over there, the expected norm was that the planner was entitled to scream and rail at whoever delivered the information. Nevermind if it was beyond that poor coordinator's control.) Sitting in the planning chair now, I somehow do not see the need to get upset. There is always a possible workaround, and if I had to take a beating from the carriers in turn, for a resultant cancellation, it's never personal. Adopting a calm, awkward, zen-like state is better.

**
*** SENSITIVE DATA DELETED ***

No comments: