For all man are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall -1Peter 1:24

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Adidas Sundown Marathon - Part 6 Epilogue

A deserving painful ending to a balantly arrogant endeavor. Completion is not necessary a victory, particularly so when my timing was so bad. Awkwardly (for lack of a better term) this had not made me any humbler. It has only served to emphasize that is is a world without limitations. There are more different challenges than a man can overcome in one lifetime, but we do grow stronger with each one.

At this point, I've decided not to do marathons on a regular basis, as the wear and tear on the body isn't quite worthwhile. But I might still participate once in a while. Had been a very long time since I was last driven to such extreme limits and that was refreshing. Now its time to move on to other trainings.

Post Marathon Diary
Day 0
Short nap and celebration chill out with the Tan Families* at Novena.
Consumed my first 500ml of beer. Hallucinations begun to dispel.
Limped like a zombie, and they mocked me by firing imaginary projectiles at me each time I shuffled to and fro the toilet.

Day 1
Took MC to rest. Was lucky I did, or I would end up like one of them.
Doctor childed me for doing a marathon so unprepared.
Mostly sleep. Regeneration.

Day 2
Back to work.
Honked by car for crossing road too slowly.
Heart warming to have the concern of so many colleague-friends.
Stayed late to work on my research project. An extremely frustratingly long 2hrs trip home (owning to @ucked-up off peak bus schedule, inefficient routing, x4 bus connections, and ridiculously long wait times between each ride.) Further morale drain having to do own household chores**

Day3
Still limping. Now that most of the dominate muscle/joint aches has eased, a very bad right ankle sprain becomes obvious. This would take more time to heal. Wondered how I kept going with such a bad injury. Probably didn't feel it at the time because of the fatigue and the adrenalin.


*老爷,夫人,Heng, Momo
**Mother has gone to visit Father for a week

No comments: