For all man are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall -1Peter 1:24

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Massive House Keeping Campaign 2008

Recently conducted a massive house keeping campaign. Spurred by the Systems Migration Plan, I was caught with an urge to free up physical space. The last 6 weeks saw the elimination of 90% of my personal physical articles. The rule was simple, anything not in use for over a year, or unlikely to remain in use, will be removed.

I realized that I tend to be reluctant to let go, even if the items no longer held any meaning. After overcoming redundant sentimental values, most items were simply white elephants. Sometimes its better to just move on.

The entire collection of painstakingly painted models and kits were given away to my childhood buddy. We started the hobby together and it was fun, but they no longer serve any practical use.
Mountains of study notes were thrown away. The information within were either obsolete or could be easily found online or in the libraries should I need them.

The sight of my now empty shelves left a clean feeling. On top of reducing future house keeping efforts, It was like a symbolic departure from the past. Keeping only the essential lessons, without the unnecessary baggage, and plenty of room to receive the future.

No comments: