For all man are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall -1Peter 1:24

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Being Professional

I tend to see myself as a contractor rather than an employee to a company.

The picture of a salaried 'employee' to me, hints of an exploited victim, someone who has no control and at the mercy of faceless shareholders. Someone who will always give more than he is paid. Why else would a company take him in?

As a contractor, I enter into a contract with the client company to provide services for the agreed price. I am my own company and my own product. I manage my own revenues and bottom line. I choose out of my own free choice to take on the contract and not because I'm forced to. As a professional, I do not pick my assignments. I am paid to do so and I will go where I am needed.

My work is of the highest quality so as to uphold my own reputation. Whatever title the client company bestows on me is less relevant compared to what I truely am.
If my fame grows, my services would be in demand and I can fetch higher value contracts.

No comments: