For all man are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall -1Peter 1:24

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Adidas Sundown Marathon - Part 1

what difference does it make anyway? We were having fun as we went along

Made a spur of the moment decision and joined 老爷 to sign up for the Adidas Sundown Marathon. Got a bad feeling this will go down as another example of letting arrogance make me bite off more than I can chew.

The training was disastrous. Despite having all the information and training tips available, I got impatient and made all the classic newbie mistakes.

1. Focus on appropriate training. - Yet I got distracted and bought extra weights for my dumbbells, when I shouldn't even be doing weights training. (Bulking up = extra dead weight during the race)

2. Train safely, avoid injuries. - Having just discovered Parkour, I couldn't resist the temptation to try out, and pulled a thigh muscle while learning to do PK Rolls

3. Train progressively. Recommended over a 10-weeks program. - "That's for ordinary people!" Or so I thought... Since I had been jogging all my life, I don't need a beginner's routine. This was the most classic marathon training mistake, and possibly my biggest undoing. The over ambitious intensive training created knee/tendon problems rendering me unable to run for two weeks now. With about one month left to the main event, prospects are rather grim.

The original plan was to enjoy the experience and have fun, but with these misfortunes, things are beginning to resemble a survivor game. There's still hope tho, since there are joint support supplements in the markets specifically for such sport injuries. Hope I can still recover in time to properly train for the race.

Can't give up now. I've always finished whatever I start, and I'd rather not give this up. That is my way.

...or die trying.

No comments: