For all man are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall -1Peter 1:24

Monday, December 3, 2007

Change is preferable to extinction

Air Export. Is the department that I have transferred to.
Today is my the first day as a Console Planner and I report to 夫人

Was feeling melancholic, as I unceremoniously evicted my former desk, early in the morning, before the 3rd floor denizens begun showing. Despite the preparations, leaving the CAM team was still a heavy hearted affair, particularly at the point when Momo asked if everything was alright.

But to be honest, that's only because I've gotten too soft and allowed myself to get entrenched in a comfort zone. It is now difficult to uproot myself, and all the more I should, while I still can. This will be a good change, to force myself into unfamiliar territory, take on new skills, and hone my edge once again.
In an awkward twist of fact, this change also draws some parallels to my previous company (which I despise). Albeit in a reversed fashion:
  1. My constant transition from one department after another, usually within overnight notices*.
  2. Ostracized framed and banished by team mates which I didn't cared about.
  3. Developing a phobia of console planners due to the years of intimidation by the CRCP aunties and ah lians.**

Back then, I was no more than a fortune hunter, with nothing to lose. Switching around was nothing more than changing desks among people who happened to be in the same team.
Unlike now, surrounded by friends, and with a good reason not to give up.

Also, what better way to overcome the phobia, than to become a planner myself.


*FLASHBACK: Back then in the old company, a conversation that went like this with my skeptical patron.

A####t (the CS AGM): ..would you like to..
Me: *interrupts* I'll do my best Sir.
A####t: well, the reason I...
Me: Yes, I understand there will be no increments for this.
A####t: the Motorola team is a challenging posting and I want your promise to stay on for at least half a year.
Me: *with a mad man's grin* I look forward to the training.
A####t: *in a last ditch attempt to frighten me off* ok I'll call E***** your new Manager immediately, and he'll bring you down tomorrow morning.
Me: Thank you for the opportunity
A####t: *a look of disbelief*

**There are exceptions of course. J was one of the kindest person to me during that dark period

No comments: